Re: [OM] Flash Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash Photography
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:10:01 -0500
On Tuesday, December 18, 2001 at 11:12, Sean Davis
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "[OM] Flash Photography" saying:

> Hi,
>
> List newbie looking for some flash advice with my OM-2n and T-32.  I
> apologize in advance for any stupid questions!
>
> Case number one:  what is the best way to do fill-in flash with the T-32
> when there is enough ambient light that the OM-2n TTL metering doesn't want
> to do auto flash? If i just set the flash to the lowest manual setting, will
> I overexpose? (assuming a reasonable camera-to-subject distance)
>
> Case number two:  using manual/auto flash with the T-32 hooked up via PC
> cord adapter to a non-Olympus camera (in this case, a Yashica-mat 124).
> What is the best way to do fill-flash in this situation?  i'm assuming a
> case where there might be some ambient light (such as in-doors), but not
> enough to really expose the picture at a fast enough speed for portraiture
> (so the subject(s) can sit still enough).

Same answer for both:
Depends on your f/stop at 1/60th and the distance to the subject.
Set the ASA on the flash.
Set the camera to manual & 1/60.
Set the aperture to expose the subject correctly.
These stay the same thru the following procedures.

Normal auto: Use flash setting for an f/stop  1 aperture (or more) less
than lens, e.g. if lens is at f/8, move the flash indicator to f/5.6 to
give you fairly bright fill, f/4 or f/2.8 for less fill effect. Of course,
you may not have some or any of those choices available.

Manual: set to 32 or 16 and calculate the appropriate aperture for the
distance. If 1-3 stops less than on camera, you're OK. Otherwise, move
forward or back, or change to the other manual setting. e.g., if lens if at
f/8 and ASA 100 film and manual setting of 16, 2 metres distance would be
the right flash-only exposure (16/8=2). For 1 stop down fill, move 2.8m
away, for 2 stops down, move 4 metres away. This may affect your choice of
lenses.

The 32 and 16 marked are the GN in metres for 100 ASA film. They double for
400 ASA film, and so on.

Good luck, tOM.
------------------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ottawa-
photo-clubs
tOM A. Trottier,        ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115    N45.412
W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980