Re: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise

Subject: Re: [OM] Trouble in OM paradise
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 23:19:55 -0800
on 12/16/01 5:05 PM, Jim Couch at JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

snipped a bit...

> Polycarbonates, already  offer both of these advantages, at less cost.
> Polycarbonates can also be easily molded into useful shapes. It is much more
> difficult to do this with typical CF construction. Polycarbonates also have
> much
> higher shock and impact resistance compared to typical carbon fiber
> composites.
> One reason that you don't see the fantastic weight reductions one would expect
> gain with CF in bicycle frames is because of the need to address impact
> resistance.
>
> Jim Couch

I think many point-and-shoots are molded in polycarbonates, or at least some
parts of them. Fiber-reinforced plastics ("engineered plastics") can be
tuned to offer specific strengths, such as dimensional stability with
temperature change, rigidity and other factors can be well-controlled. For
cameras I think CF is not the best material, its specific benefits aren't
that important in camera construction (although a CF lens barrel might make
a 1000/5.6 quite a bit lighter...) The other problem is that CF is not as
'moldable' as the "engineered plastics" (fiber-filled) or polycarbonates.
Molding is a really low-cost way to make large quantities of parts, once you
buy the mold.
--

Jim Brokaw