RE: [OM] New Olys-BIG ISSUES

Subject: RE: [OM] New Olys-BIG ISSUES
From: William Clark <wclark@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:03:59 -0500
This news is not surprising to me.  I have always felt digital cameras were
"toys" and better ones were needed.  Yes I have one (the 2100UZ by Olympus,
great!!!!).  I think digital cameras are at a cross-roads, much like DVDs
were a few years back.  Remember 10 years ago when DVDs were having so much
trouble with quality, acceptance, etc.?  DVDs, according to CNN, still do
not sell as much as VHS.  It is forecast that next year will be the
"breakthrough" year for DVD.  Although such forecasts have been going on for
the past 3-4 years.  The point is that consumers have not been able to
afford this technology until just recently.  While digital camera sales are
up, it is not in the "pro" range.  In addition, digital cameras pose a lot
of problems for the AVERAGE consumer.  First of all, space requirements for
high quality pics; second, most do not want to bugger around with Photoshop
or any other program to change the pic taken; thirdly, you have to buy a
good printer $$$$; and fourthly, archival inks are only a recent
introduction into the digital scene.  Oh, I forgot, colour management is an
issue.  A local dealer hear in Ottawa actually has people come in to print
their stuff off of flash cards because they cannot figure out how to get the
pics the colour they want (they charge for this).  It is no wonder why
digital cameras so not seem to be making the manufacturers money.  We need
one (or a system) that makes digital pics and their "processing" just as
easy as film.  No such as system exists for the AVERAGE consumer at this
point (those on this list, I think, are we beyond being an AVERAGE user).
Actually, if you take everything into account, digital cameras are a pain.
When I see tourists here in Ottawa, they have digital cameras, but when it
comes time to take an "important" shot, it is always with film.  Will
digital ever win over?  Maybe, but it will not be for a long, long time (or
until a breakthrough product occurs).  Maybe this new Olympus camera will be
it.  Imagine if digital cameras never become more than toys or computer
accessories...what will happen then to these money losing lines?  A big
question.  I remember reading that the most important computer ever made was
the Commodore 64.  Why?  Because it could do everything and got the computer
into the home.  It proved to Big Blue and others that home computing was for
real, hence the industry took off.  We have not had such a product in the
digital realm.  We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Regards,
-Bill