[OM] Teleconvertors WAS: Saturday's Fang

Subject: [OM] Teleconvertors WAS: Saturday's Fang
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 10:09:44 -0800
Keep in mind while reading my comments that I shoot slides 800f the time. The
reason I have used Telextenders is when I am backpacking or cycling. For
example a 135 plus 2X extender (270) or a 200 + 1.5x extender (300) is a lot
lighter and more compact than carrying my 300. Also for someone on a budget a
Telextender can usually get them into super tele range w/o breaking the bank.
Particularly useful if you only use the long focal lengths occasionally. This,
of course, is not always the case with the Zuiko 2xa which can sell for close
to what a bargain 300 does.

Yes there is some fuss with dealing with the extender, but it is better than
not having the lens at all. Two summers ago we were cycling in Colorado, I
missed a wonderful shot of a soaring Hawk because in an effort to reduce weight
and bulk I had nothing longer than a 135, and no extender. There was plenty of
time in this case to get the photo, but I did not have the gear. I shot anyway,
but as you can imagine the hawk was but a small speck, way to small to enlarge
to any degree without severe loss of image quality.

SNIP