Re: [OM] New Olys - Olympus is back!

Subject: Re: [OM] New Olys - Olympus is back!
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:22:55 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, W.Xato wrote:

> I keep hearing that Olympus is keeping the OM line
> alive for  1/ prestige reasons, and 2/because some of
> their medical equipment which produces a great part of
> their revenue, interfaces with the OM bodies.

Olympus microscopes don't have a native OM mount, they all use adapters to
mount a body to either a straight phototube or to a dovetail mount.  This
allows the use of various imaging devices, everything from CCD's to movie
cameras.  I know for a fact that the Olympus C-35 microcope bodies that were
based on the OM-4Ti platform have been discontinued and replaced with a cheap
plastic alternative.  Ask yourself why they would do that if the OM-4Ti still
has a future?
                                -mark