Re: [OM] Something different - 450mm Viv Ser 1 Mirrror

Subject: Re: [OM] Something different - 450mm Viv Ser 1 Mirrror
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:13:37 EST
<< OK, so I hardly use my 500mm f8 mirror lens 'cause it's depth of field
 is so shallow, I must really need to spend lots of $$ for an f4.5.
 There's usually a practical reason why very few of some things are
 made.........

 <<<Moose

About the Vivitar 450/4.5, I actually owned one of these lenses last year for
several months-I sold mine later for $850.
It is not anywhere near an f4.5 as most mirrors aren't as fast as they say.
I tested it side by side with  a Tamron 400mm f4 SP (non mirror lens) and the
Tamron ate it alive.
The contrast was poor and it was much slower-2 shutter speeds slower than the
f4 of the Tamron.
I was hoping for a great lens and I found it only a collectable but well made.
I have shot with the Vivitar Series 1 600/8 mirror and I found it better.
That said, I imagine a collector may grab it at that price, especially after
the favorable write up by Gandy on his site.

John