Re: [OM] New Olys (my opinion)

Subject: Re: [OM] New Olys (my opinion)
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:38:28 EST
I don't see a correlation between smaller camera body and lenses equaling
lower cost in this case. I'm sure this new system will be quite pricey, and
digital prices don't drop over time because they produce more of an item,
they drop due to newer and more capable technologies coming along.

A digital SLR system is quite a gamble. It's far different than a $299
digital P&S becoming 'old'. What happens when this 'system' people buy
becomes 'old technology'  3 years later? Yes, the lenses should be 'current'
for years, but will people keep buying $1000 bodies every few years?  I doubt
it. It all sounds good at first, but just how many 'pros' will embrace
Olympus' new system? THAT may be the $1Billion question which determines
whether Olympus can be successful in this launch or not. Nikon and Canon I
think, had an easier time getting pros to go for their digital SLRs because
they still had the pros using their film cameras, and were well known for
supporting these pros with top notch deals, service, loaners, etc. Olympus
has NO pro base to build on, and has just the opposite reputation when it
comes to film cameras. Unless this system has a big "Gee Whiz" factor, or
truly offers something the others don't, it'll be a tough sell, IMO.
(These comments assume this system is geared toward 'pros', as many of you
state. It may be better business to launch a system geared one step below pro
level.)

George S.