Re: [OM] Fang o' the Day

Subject: Re: [OM] Fang o' the Day
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 13:34:26 +1100
>At 01:35 12/22/01, you wrote:
>>om@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>>

>>>I hope for the person that got it that everything is ok - and she's
>>>happy with it!
>>

>>Yes, me too. It most likely will be OK, it's just that I avoid bidding on
>>items that are presented out of focus. You know, just that 'feeling' you
>>get...if the seller had a feedback rating of 1, I'd just think the bad
>>photo was due to inexperience...but 1100 ?!
>>
>>Best,
>>George S.
>
>First thing I check is the seller feedback looking specifically for camera
>items and the number of seller transactions.  Some have high numbers buying
>or selling CD's and paperback books . . . small stuff.  If anything doesn't
>feel right, especially if the "BS" detector is sounding alarms, and they
>cannot be resolved by some communication with the seller, I walk away from
>the auction.  There's always another lens on another day.
>
>The photo in this one worried me too.
>
>-- John

Yes, there a guy in the UK who sells a lot of stuff - mostly vintage bits
and pieces but some serious items. His descriptions are capitalised, crude
and poorly written. His pix are always too large, too close and out of
focus but he has a good reputation and 7 negatives in 1100+ of auctions,
last I checked. rocky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Can't understand why someone who
does so much business can't be bothered to improve - it must cost him. I
bought one small item off him - no problem - but I've passed on others
because I can't see enough detail.
AndrewF