[OM] avoiding fungus

Subject: [OM] avoiding fungus
From: Wayne Culberson <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 09:01:20 -0400
>  Yeah, it's hard to call these types of auctions.  This seller >definitely
>  seems to fall into the "buy and sell everything" category.  That >probably
>  explains why the lens was priced so out of line with going rates.  Of
> >course
>  that also means that they don't know how to properly evaluate a lens. > For
>  $100 it's worth taking the chance that it'll all work out (it usually
> >does).

>Mark, I agree it was worth the chance, but there's always a downside >with
>someone who doesn't know how to
>properly evaluate a lens. That's the explanation for all those lenses >listed
>as 'excellent' that really have fungus!  :)

>Best of luck
>George S.

This might be opening a can of worms, but does anyone else take into
account the location of the seller when trying to avoid lenses with
fungus? I know we never know where the lens might have travelled to,
been stored in the basement, etc, but given fungus seems to thrive in
more humid climates, if there is some doubt about the honesty or the
ability of the seller evident in his description of a lense, I also
place some value on his location. (However, I'd still buy from Tom even
if he moves to the everglades)