Re: [OM] Why hasn't anyone snapped this up at $1150.

Subject: Re: [OM] Why hasn't anyone snapped this up at $1150.
From: "Mickey Trageser" <mickeytr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 10:39:53 -0500
Chip-
I only deal with money orders and cashier's checks on eb*y as well. I choose
not to do PayPal anymore, and haven't looked into the other services.
Outside of my circle of friends, I will not take a check. This eliminates
any complications in the payment process (collecting fees for bounced checks
etc.). The seller has the right to have the valid, reliable payment before
shipping. I don't care to wait around to see if a check bounces or clears. I
don't care to chase down a fee charged by my bank for depositing a bad
check. When PayPal lost their minds and started charging the seller fees for
the buyer's choice of a credit card, I closed the account. It's just a
further entanglement when trying to sort out the payment amount.

As an e*ay buyer, my course of action for non delivery, or grossly
inaccurate descriptions by the seller is the eba* agreement and feedback. I
wouldn't buy a high ticket item from a newbie. Someone who has established a
good record wouldn't want to ruin their reputation with poor business
practices, for the most part. Does the auction note any conditions for
return? I take it that you are concerned that the product might not meet
your expectations and you'd like a hold-card (credit card challenge option)
to be able to return it and/or stop payment.

My best recommendation: Engage the seller in email, to get a feel for his
real knowledge of the item, and his conditions for return, etc. Consider the
wording of the auction. Is it clear? Can you live with the conditions? What
does the seller have at risk? Is he using e**y for an active business? If
so, it's unlikely he'd have a very clean feedback if he wasn't on the up and
up.

Bottom line: If you're uncomfortable about it, WALK AWAY.

--Mickey