[OM] Film scanners

Subject: [OM] Film scanners
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 12:55:41 -0500
I wonder why the manufacturers don't incorporate three things into their
film scanners:
1.  Move the film in a curve past the sensors. This would have two
    advantages:
a)  Curving the film would make the film flatter in the dimension of the
    sensor.
b)  No mechanical limit on frame length
2.  Eliminate holders (except for slides) and support unlimited roll film
    length and automatic scanning into a new directory.
3.  Autodetect frame edges, especially on MF film. A rotary "Frame Length"
    dial on the scanner could indicate frame sizes, which would be useful for
    MF, half-frame, or subminiature scans.

I suppose the only downsize would be increased risk of scratching, but that
risk could be reduced by having rollers detect the film width and restrict
handling to the edges, which would be practical if the film always takes a
curved path, and never a straight one, through the machine. This would keep
the film from bowing in the middle.

tOM

------------------- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ottawa-
photo-clubs
tOM A. Trottier,        ICQ:57647974    http://abacurial.com
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115    N45.412
W75.714
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself --
Henry Miller, 1891-1980