Re: [OM] Film scanners

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanners
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:20:52 -0800
I wonder why the manufacturers don't incorporate three things into their
film scanners:
1.  Move the film in a curve past the sensors. This would have two
    advantages:
a)  Curving the film would make the film flatter in the dimension of the
    sensor.
b)  No mechanical limit on frame length
2.  Eliminate holders (except for slides) and support unlimited roll film
    length and automatic scanning into a new directory.
3.  Autodetect frame edges, especially on MF film. A rotary "Frame Length"
    dial on the scanner could indicate frame sizes, which would be useful for
    MF, half-frame, or subminiature scans.

I suppose the only downsize would be increased risk of scratching, but that
risk could be reduced by having rollers detect the film width and restrict
handling to the edges, which would be practical if the film always takes a
curved path, and never a straight one, through the machine. This would keep
the film from bowing in the middle.

tOM

Don't drum scanners do most of these things?  You just have to pay for it.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California