RE: [OM] Vivitar 200/3 was: 200/4 -vs- 200/5?

Subject: RE: [OM] Vivitar 200/3 was: 200/4 -vs- 200/5?
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 12:18:32 -0700
> It has a very nice on-camera feel, and the extra speed (bright viewfinder)
> and 'thinner' depth of field make focusing *very* easy. Also, it focuses
> pretty close for a 200mm focal length... and its cool to have that huge
> round disk of glass out front.

 Well, I decided to go for an early Xmas present for myself, and picked it
up..

 I agree, it's _very_ nice to use -- there's lots of the 'pop' into focus
effect, and the big wide focussing ring is handy.

 Focuses down to just under 4 feet, which is about 1:3 magnification -- not
quite 'macro', but certainly close enough to be very handy. (for fun, I
tried putting it on the end of a 65-116 tube; that'll get pretty much to
1:1, though at that point the focal length becomes, well, interestingly
short..)

 Yup, it's big and heavy -- not so much so as to make handholding
impossible, but I certainly know when I've been using it.

 I wound up paying CDN$288 for the lens + generic 1A filter to go on the
front; it's in _perfect_ condition. No scratches/dust/fungus on any of the
glass, and the body is completely untouched -- very very pretty. (and it's
neat to look down the front, close the aperture down by hand and watch the
blades slide in and out of position). I've taken some shots; not got them
developed yet, but I have a good feeling about this one.

 One question -- the 'vivitar series 1' lenscap doesn't clip on, it just
slides over the hood -- is this normal with these lenses? It's not loose
enough to fall off easily, but it seems a bit weird to me.

 Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

 -- dan