Re: [OM] NOW: Flashmeter? and other thoughts.

Subject: Re: [OM] NOW: Flashmeter? and other thoughts.
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 12:37:06 -0800
===What sort of umbrella do you get for using the T32? How do you mount the
flash? Do you have to get a flash shoe clamp or somthing? I've been wanting
the unbrella setup for a while, but don't know much about them, except
non-silver ones are typically used in the rain...====

Any contraption with a thread on the bottom and a shoe mount on top can
work.
The thread has to be compatible with your light stand or use a tripod fully
extended.
I have a few I use that swivel on a ball head and have a hole to insert the
umbrella rod.  Not very costly at a decent camera store.  Don't get one with
anything metallic on the top of the shoe or the flash will fire  when
contact is made.
White or satin with a black backing are most useful.  They are quite
inexpensive from B&H.
The bigger the umbrella the softer the light but a smaller one is fine for
home use.
Use it close and you get nice light.  You will lose about 2 stops.
Also you could just put a white sheet on a frame and shoot the flash through
it.
Leave about 3 feet between the flash and material.
White card (foamcore) or a white wall makes a nice fill on the opposite
side.
The low profile of the T-32 is great for umbrellas.

Have fun,
Charlie