Re: [OM] The amazingly rare Olympus Zuiko 500 f/3.5 Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] The amazingly rare Olympus Zuiko 500 f/3.5 Macro
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 09:00:46 +0800
I have been using a 50/3.5 MC with S/N 178xxx for a long time, it perform
quite well, but for the coating there are still some purple reflections, may
be it is only a partial single coated one (or someone has changed the
element(s)). Another two 50/3.5 I have one with S/N 22x,xxx (without MC
mark, sold) and the other one with S/N 182,xxx has similar color of
reflections, they looked very green. I have only tried the S/N 22x,xxx, the
result was very good but I have not made direct comparison with the other
50/3.5.

I think all MC version should be okay but a later version without MC mark
could be the best. especially many 50/3.5 I have seen were having slightly
coating scratch/mark at the rear element, so a newer version is more
preferable (but the single coated version I had was very clean, otherwise I
will not put any comment on it).

Special care must be taken with the 28/2, I just got my third (the first two
were sold) 28/2 from ebay, the seller said it just has a small spot at the
front element that cannot be cleaned, it will not affect image quality.
Actually the whole front element are covered with scratches mark,
fortunately I have a spare front element disassembly from previous 28/2 (it
only has slight cleaning marks). All three 28/2 I bought were having marks
on the front elements, may be the coating is a bit soft for this lens.

C.H.Ling