Re: [OM] photography at LA auto show

Subject: Re: [OM] photography at LA auto show
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 14:25:16 +0000
At 13:55 12/25/01, you wrote:
With all due respect to John, use the Oly at the show. Use the rangefinder
on people and scenery. The Oly with a WA lens will give you the best images
of the cars. On the other hand, if you are shooting the live models there,
your leica with a 90 elmarit should do nicely.

Roger Skully
robinsnestphotography.com

I think we're in agreement on this . . . perhaps stated differently. Given a choice between using an RF or an SLR under those conditions, I'd pick the SLR with short lenses (for the cars, not the models).

I also see trying to use an RF for the cars as problematic, the first issue coming to my mind being parallax between viewfinder and taking lens, the second being metering an exposure (without a multiple readings from a spot meter).

My key advice is watching and checking background perspective lines in addition to the subject's. Shooting inside a building at close quarters to the subject using a WA lens can create perspective issues if there are prominent background structural lines. Keeping background perspective harmonious with subject perspective is something I consciously watch for under these conditions.

-- John