Re: [OM] What's a good price for used Zuiko macro lenses?

Subject: Re: [OM] What's a good price for used Zuiko macro lenses?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2001 11:39:15 -0800
I'm tempted by the Zuiko macro lenses, specifically the 50/2 and 90/2, and to a lesser extent by the 50/3.5 (?), etc.

I gather that people feel the 90/2 is the best, followed closely by the 50/2, and then opinion becomes more diffuse.

Anyway, what is the pecking order, and why?

And, what's a good price for used examples of same, as a function of condition?

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

It depends, like everything else, on what you plan to do with it. All three are very good lenses. If used in macro mode on a tripod then the 90 gives you a little more working distance than the 50s. Good for skittish, mobile subjects. With the 3.5 you will learn which apertures produce the best images which can be as good as those from the other two. With the other two lenses which aperture you use is less critical. All can be used for very sharp general use photography, but the 3.5 is limiting for this purpose because of its slowness, but you should be able to find a good one for less than $200. The 90 is big and heavy which is a consideration when traveling and it is very expensive. My 50/2 is usually in my bag no matter where I go or how light I go.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California