Re: [OM] DOF button tapedown

Subject: Re: [OM] DOF button tapedown
From: Acer/Siddiq <waltherppk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 16:35:36 -0800
12/26/01 6:41:23 AM, John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
>  Why so many work-arounds? If maximum detail is
>required, add a TLR to your kit. A Yashica Mat124 or D
>(if a D make sure it has the 4 element Yashinon lens)
>can be had for about $150US, and if interchangeable
>lenses are peferable the Mamiya C system could be
>purchased for about 7 to 8 hundred USD for a body,
>65,80,180mm setup. I'm not saying give up your 35mm OM
>system, just use the strenghts of each type to get the
>results you hoped for.    John Robison

John I'm not sure who this is addressed to, but it was below my reply, so here
i go: I wasn't mentioning this a
way to get max detail out of 35mm, i was just countering the theory, that in
the 1n, it's better to leave the
DOF button alone. Having spent a couple of years lurking on the rec.photo
groups, the "get a larger system
if you want detail" argument grows trite (no offence meant of course). the
whole idea is to maximize the
potential of any given system with minimal added "stuff". an example, i can
"tune" my car's chassis for
relatively neutral handling by running 35f/30r air pressure (the factory calls
for 29 all around). otherwise i get
understeer. does that mean i just ditch this and get a 993 if i want to snap
the tail around on turns? i'd hope
not (altho the idea of driving the 993 is sure to appeal!)

happy holidays, stay safe

/A/S
--
dum spiro, spero