Re: [OM] SCA adaptersquestion

Subject: Re: [OM] SCA adaptersquestion
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:03:35 +0000
At 08:10 12/27/01, Marcin wrote:
Hi Zuiks!
    Do you know what is the difference between the METZ SCA 320 and SCA
321 adapters?????
Regards
Marcin
PS: I am still waiting for my picture in Xmas exchange :(((((

Did some research into the Metz units before buying the 40MZ-3 . . .

May be what you already know but here it is anyway:
(a) The SCA 321 is the current SCA 300 series module for Metz TTL control.
(b) From a web search it appears the SCA 320 is an older/prior version for the Olympus OM's.

What the exact differences are I don't know. What I found about the SCA 320 was dated several years ago. References were made to the "SCA 320/321" modules for Olympus OM but without any details. Current listings on Metz' and dealer sites for new equipment (e.g. B&H and Adorama) show only the SCA 321.

AFIK all the current SCA 300 series modules can be used on any of the older Metz units designed for SCA 300 series modules, including the SCA 320. My unresolved question: can the SCA 320 can be used on a Metz units designed for the SCA 3000 modules? All the Metz units I've researched that use the SCA 3000 series are backward compatible with current SCA 300 modules (including the SCA 321). The 3000 series modules have the same form and fit with a pair of additional contact rows inside the first pair to provide more contacts for the newer AF Wunderbricks that can transmit lens focal length, lens focus distance, film ISO, etc., to the flash head.

FYI:
There is a series of older handle mounted flashes (potato mashers) that use SCA 500 series modules; the SCA 520 is the Olympus OM module for those.

-- John