[OM] Eyecup and diopter correction

Subject: [OM] Eyecup and diopter correction
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:34:01 -0800
I could use a little help here. As I mentioned in a message yesterday, one
of the results of the Christmas photo exchange was that my girlfriend has
conned me out of an OM-4. The problem that results is this:

She can't get enough correction via the built-in adjustable viewfinder
correction. She says she needs about a -4.5 correction. The viewfinder range
is +1 to -3 according to the OM-4 Instructions Manual. The E-SIF lists the
corrective range of the lenses for the eyecup as +2 to -5 *in conjunction*
with the camera's own built in "bias". Based on what I read in the E-SIF
tables, the viewfinder is a default -2 diopters (I'm assuming that's for
NON-adjustable viewfinders).

I think I need to buy her a "-5" lens (as Olympus marks them), as that
coupled with the viewfinder's built-in adjustment should give her enough
range to adjust, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know how to figure the proper
correction, based on adding one of the eyecups with a corrective lens? Can I
use info from her eyeglasses prescription to figure it out?

---
Scott Gomez