Re: [OM] If I could only have one lens, might be this one

Subject: Re: [OM] If I could only have one lens, might be this one
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 14:03:44 -0800
I agree it's a great lens. I have Zuikos from 18m to 300mm, but when I look over at my most used body, I see the Tamron 60-300mm f3.8-5.4 on it after my last outing. My Oly 300/4.5 is a wonderful lens, but I just realized I haven't used it since I bought the 60-300 a few months ago. It's not only the great range of focal lengths covered, but also the terrific macro abilities, that seduce me. If I understand what you guys mean by bokeh, wonderfully soft, smooth, pastelly out of focus image material outside of the sharp depth of field zone, the macro range of this lens has it in spades. What surprised me was comparing the two lenses directly; the Oly is less than half a stop faster at 300mm, but the Tamron is slimmer, shorter and lighter. The Oly's built in hood is much better than the Tamron plastic bayonet thingee.The Oly case is much nicer too, but neither one goes in the field, anyway. They both take really nice pictures.

Normal | Macro diam. Len. Wt. Clse Focus | CF Ratio Zuiko 300mm 80 181 1020g 3.5m | 3.5m 1:9.2 Tamron 60-300mm 62 166 870g 1.9m | 0.34m 1:1.55

I lean toward longer lenses, so this might be my 'If I could only have one lens' lens - but couldn't I also have a nice little 28-70+ zoom... and, uh, maybe my Oly 24/2.8... Pretty please?

Moose

NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

No connection to the seller. As owner of 20+ Zuikos, if I had to have only one lens it might be this one. ebay# 1314351294. The Tamron 60-300 gives you a wide range of focal lengths and will focus down to a nat's a#$. Affordable. Bill Barber