[OM] OM macro / closeups vs medium format / TLR

Subject: [OM] OM macro / closeups vs medium format / TLR
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 13:20:57 +1300
Hello Zuikoholics, John & Acer,

re:
> > if you want detail" argument grows trite (no offence  meant of course). the
> > whole idea is to maximize the   potential of any given system with minimal
> > added  "stuff". an example, i can "tune" my car's chassis
>  for   relatively neutral handling by running 35f/30r air
>  pressure (the factory calls for 29 all around).  otherwise i get
>  understeer. does that mean i just ditch this and get
>  a 993 if i want to snap the tail around on turns?
>  i'd hope   not (altho the idea of driving the 993 is sure to
>  appeal!)
>  happy holidays, stay safe
>
>  /A/S
>  Hi Acer, I hope my post didn't stuffy or
> condesending, I certenly didn't mean it that way. Your
> enthusasim for photography has always been enjoyable
> to watch grow. I wasen't replying to your post but to
> the general topic under discussion. I also agree it's
> good to know how to get the best performance out of
> our OM cameras.   clear skys   John Robison

I have quite a bit "invested" in my Zuikos & OMs, and yes, it's just the
challenge of trying to get the best out of a neat system that really is very
capable; a system that I have.

An old friend of mine who used Hasselblad used to laugh at me trying to
maximise DOF, and said "Why don't you get a Hassy, stand back with a
normal lens, get all the DOF you want, and enlarge the part you really
wanted to photograph in the first place.".

Well, I could ($$ not mentioned) but I'm using OM gear.

I would not use TLR for macro because of the parallax problems, and lack of
lens choice.

I AM now into MF because I want superfine detail for proposed publishing,
and have Koni-Omega and Mamiya Press cameras as of the last 6 months. I
CAN do macro *easily* with the Mamiya, and the supposedly 6x7 and 6x9
negatives are a revelation.. And I am still making a 6x9 (+ 6x12 ?) body for
my Schneider Super Angulon 47mm/5.6 which cost about as much as a
Zuiko 90mm f/2 macro. Super-wide detail coming up ;->

But, OM and 35mm are my first love, so to speak.

The others also make me into a more versatile photographer too I hope.

PS; I also these days *don't* always appreciate clear skies for my
photography. I used to. In New Zealand we often have clear skies. And as a
result, shadow detail is lost because shadows are far too black. More and
more I appreciate the rare days with white fluffy clouds to lighten up the
shadows and reduce the contrast from the extremes of cloudless days.

Have fun and enjoy your Zuikos. All the best for 2002.

Brian
Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!