RE: [OM] DUMB,DUMB,DUMB

Subject: RE: [OM] DUMB,DUMB,DUMB
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 01:23:58 +0000
At 03:46 12/28/01, Jim Hinken wrote:
Mine may be even dumber, or at least just as dumb.  I
finished a roll before Christmas, rewound it, but left it in
the camera.  Christmas Eve, after taking about a dozen
shots, I came to the realization that nothing was going onto
film.

Both of these tales are sad  :-(

Two years later I am still reminded periodically by my other half about how a a camera back was opened without the film rewound. That and a couple other incidents have resulted in: (a) Spinning the rewind knob whenever pulling a 35mm camera body out of the camera bag to see if there's film in it. Even if it's a rewound roll, there's some resistance to rotation. (b) Using the film minder on the camera back (if it has one), especially if something *other* than Kodachrome 64 is in the camera body. (c) After reloading film, watching the rewind knob to ensure it's spinning while winding after the first two firings to get to frame #1.

Things like this happen to each of us at least once.

It's why I do all of the above now. Eventually it becomes a habit performed without thinking about it.

Watched a long-time pro handle his Nik*n F2 once. He not only did all of the above, he did them sub-consciously out of rote habit. He had become so accustomed to using "AI" lenses that he also rotates a lens aperture ring through all its stops in each direction just after mounting it to the body (ensures a lens aperture tab engages a meter biasing pin). How rote was this? He did it after mounting an AF lens to his F100 while he was in the middle of a conversation with me!

-- John