[OM] Thoughts on strobes, winding, XA's, and Barry's shirts...

Subject: [OM] Thoughts on strobes, winding, XA's, and Barry's shirts...
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 09:13:32 -0600
Someone asked about strobes. I've been using a Sunpak 120J TTL since they
first came out, and have been very happy. It has lots of power, although not
as much as the Metz 60 series, and is very affordable. In fact, the
affordability is the only drawback that I can think of, as the build quality
is somewhat less than a Metz. I like the ability to use both regular and
bare bulb flash, and I come from the more power is always better school. B&H
lists one at $300 with the essential nicad HV pack, but that probably
doesn't include the OM sensor. I think I paid about $30 for mine, but they
may be discontinued. They have been available used and NOS, however, so
shouldn't be a roadblock.

I do like my T8, for the soft light it has. I would like it to be about
200ws, though. The T8 is great for anything within about a foot. With a lot
more power, its usefulness would increase dramatically.

"He had become so accustomed to using "AI" lenses that he also rotates a
lens aperture ring through all its stops in each direction just after
mounting it to the body (ensures a lens aperture tab engages a meter biasing
pin).  How rote was this?  He did it after mounting an AF lens to his F100
while he was in the middle of a conversation with me!"
I used my Ftn a couple of weeks ago. First time in at least 9 months. Use it
maybe twice a year at most since going OM 25 years ago. What was the first
thing I did when mounting the lens? Yup.

When traveling, I always take my XA. I load it with Tri-X or FP5, and put it
in my pants pocket whenever leaving the room, even if I'm not taking a
"real" camera. I've gotten great results with it blown up to as much as
11x14. The vignetting is usually unnoticeable, although the piece of lint on
the film rail during the last Italy trip wasn't so benign. Sure, it's no OM,
but it gets the picture 'cause it's always there!

I might be inclined to make a "real men" comment about Barry and his shirts,
but I won't. What inquiring minds DO want to know is this: What is it
exactly about his neck and/or shirts that would attract the attention of the
jaded journalists of the Journal? After all, Peach Pit, MO isn't exactly
within (hollering?) shouting distance of  the street. Could we be in at the
beginning of something big? Should we be buying shares of certain label or
shirt makers? Sell Cabela? Are their shirts all cotton, or is Barry
surreptitiously wearing a polyester shirt? Have I created another OT
monster?

Bill Pearce