[OM] James Couch's XA photos

Subject: [OM] James Couch's XA photos
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 15:05:51 +1300
Hi James and fellow Zuiks,

After having a discussion with James about the site that hosts his Cascades
photos that he told us about

http://home.earthlink.net/~spknsprkt/wsnC26F.html

and talking about the huge downloads (with not a lot to show on the web-
page for the overhead of transferred electrons), I saved his images to my hard-
drive.  The middle one of his shots wouldn't even display on my machine
when connected - it is so big, but I told it to save the image which it
dutifully
did anyway.

Somehow, his host's program crunches quite large file into a small space.
Maybe there's a size restriction they have there, in the html code of the page.

I think that for the purposes of just the web display, the images could be
photo re-sized considerably smaller with a resultant large reduction in
download time. But there would be no beautiful large images to save.

When I opened up the saved files in my browser, they filled the screen and
then some. I mean, QUITE some more. These shots were scanned from
prints.

Not only are they beautiful, but the detail is amazingly fine, and the colour
rendition is crash-hot as well. (I wonder how the photographer managed to
hold the camera so steady after climbing all that way up).

The little XA is REALLY something else. Quite a revelation, to me at least.
I have a mint Rollei 35, but this blows the socks off it. I had a 35S, but sold
it
as it seemed like a lemon. But this XA !!

Brian
Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!