[OM] DOF etc

Subject: [OM] DOF etc
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:09:13 +1300
Hi,

We wrote;

Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:48:07 -0800 (PST)
From: John Robison <omrobison@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] OM macro / closeups vs medium format / TLR
- --- Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Friday, December 28, 2001 at 13:20, Brian Swale
> <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote re "[OM] OM macro / closeups vs medium "
> saying: > ...
> > An old friend of mine who used Hasselblad used to
> laugh at me trying to maximise DOF, and said "Why don't you get a
Hassy,  stand back with a normal lens, get all the DOF you want, and
enlarge the  part you really wanted to photograph in the first place.".

> She/He's fooling himself. You get the same depth of  field with a given
> focal length, aperture, and image enlargement..
>
> tOM
  DOF's really the same for a given aperture and Image/Object ratio
regardless of focal length.  John Robison

Well, none of that negates his Hassy argument. He was proposing a different
lens, and different camera position (further away, hence greater DOF as I
understand it) as well as a larger negative to play with. He was really
pointing
out that by standing back, he had more DOF measured in mm or whatever,
and with the larger negative he could still get the same detail as from 35mm
close-up. All with perhaps less fuss. But there was no way he could have a
similar perspective and get the advantages he suggested. He was also
having a quiet dig at my small negative - but he used 35mm as well
sometimes. C*n*n T90.
Brian
PS, after writing this I noted John Lind's words. Thanks John. My old friend
Harold (Heimke-Hemming) was talking about a different camera position I am
sure. B.
Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!