Re: [OM] $700 for 18f3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] $700 for 18f3.5
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 15:34:31 -0800
Seems pricy, but depends partly on what's included. You really need the 49-72mm step-up adapter as hood, to minimize the likelihood of bumping the protruding front element into things and to hold filters. The Oly case doesn't hold it with the 49-72. So.. you need the 49-72, 72mm UV filter and lens cap and something to carry/protect it with that stuff on it. Those things all cost $$, so their presence or absence affects value. It also appears from "http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/multicoat.txt"; that some are SC and some MC, which may afect value.

I've been tracking some Oly items I'm interested in for about a year on eBay. Four 18/3.5s have sold that I've noticed. All appeared to be in EX or better condition. One $520 had no extras, the $520 I bought from OZ had all the extras, the $700 had none and the $860 had caps, case and box. Henry's of Toronto has one for $700 with a bin of $846 on ebay at the moment on at least it's third listing, with no bids yet on any of them. It has a case, but they don't mention caps. The special front cap is crucial to keep the front element from rubbing against the case. John H. has the 49-72 for $29 and the special lens cap for $28 at zuiko.com. You don't necessarily need both. I have mine in a third party case that perfectly holds the lens with 49-72, UV filter and 72mm cap, so the Oly case and special slip-on cap sit in a drawer. If Henry's again doesn't sell , you might call and see if they will negotiate.

Moose

Jim Couch wrote:

That is considerably more than I paid for mine, although I did get a
good deal. It would depend on condition. If it is Like New then $700 is
probably a fair price. I would said 600-650 is about average and
anything below 600 could be considered a good deal for one in excellent
or better shape.

Jim Couch

Alan wrote:

Is $700 for an 18f3.5 a good price ?