RE: [OM] Xtreme photos

Subject: RE: [OM] Xtreme photos
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:23:48 +1100
> Brian Swale [mailto:bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> In Australia, that land across the Tasman, bush fires rage -
> sending smoke and sparks across wide areas.

Someone I know on another photography list has filled gutters and
bathtubs up in the Blue Mountains, and is trying to keep everything
wet. After telling me all of the above (he's sent his family down
into Sydney proper), he tells me he *has* kept one body and lens
with him in case anything spectacular happens. Can't keep a good
photog' down.

FWIW, during these bushfires, in the city you have not required
your 81? warming filters. No blue skies, covered by smoke
haze but the sun filters through it and gives a rich orange
light. Sunsets are quite freaky, but not necessarily photogenic
as only the sun goes orange - immediately around it still seems
to remain resolutely bushsmoke-grey. In the middle of the city you
can see the haze between yourself and the other side of the
street, and at this moment visibility is down to about 500 metres.

I'm wanting some "high-key" (I think that's the term) black & white
images of some scenes in the city, but am not getting a chance due
to season's and work committments. I hope someone is, for both record
and artistic reasons. I *do* have my OM1 and 50 1.4 with me, just
in case an op' arises, though living in the city it's only smoke
and the ash and occasional blackened leaf that are obvious affects.

If this haze sticks around, tonights fireworks could me less (or
more) than spectacular over the harbour. Me, I'm working, grrrrrr.

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz