RE: [OM] Design considerations? (Long)

Subject: RE: [OM] Design considerations? (Long)
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 18:25:00 -0800 (PST)
You make a lot of very valid points about the Canon
system, however I must disagree with you about the 50
Billion program modes and buttons that one must use.
In my experience with AF systems they reduce the SLR
to nothing more than a big point and shoot that
doesn't do the job of a good point and shoot as well.
I mean why buy a Canon SLR when an Infinity Stylus
Epic or other good P&S does the same thing at maybe a
lower cost (some of those little jobbies are quite
expensive :) it will definitely be smaller and lighter
and in many cases more durable due to that. Yes AF can
be desireable for fast action, but for most anything
else it isn't that important. Just my .02.

Also I must add in that any SLR built after 1990
doesn't feel as solid as an older one in my hands. OM,
N*kon, P*ntax, C*non etc. All their older metal MF
SLR's feel ultra solid compared to the plastimagic
things with LCD displays and such put out today. If
you want a solid camera today your stuck with either
Zeiss Contax or some ultra expensive Leica M or R
system, or the Olympus OM. Nikon F5 is as ugly as sin
and Canon 1V is about as plastimagic as everything
else in thier line.

Mark Lloyd