Re: [OM] Which is sharper, autofocus or manual focus?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which is sharper, autofocus or manual focus?
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 13:29:54 -0400
On 1/1/02 1:06 PM, "Olympus" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes..  I don't shoot B&W that often, so I didn't know what to tell my mom..
> why she's Olive colored..

It's sounds like the B&W shots were printed on colour paper, which usually
results in some kind of colour cast. A good lab will be able to do this well
and will usually try to create a warm tone or sepia effect. You mentioned
that she used Tmax so that she could have them processed in C41. That sounds
as if she was using one of the chromogenic B&W films then. I wasn't all that
impressed with the roll of Tmax 400CN that I tried but I think they've come
out with newer versions since. I did get some good shots but the colour
casts in the prints weren't consistent. Printing the negs on B&W paper was
somewhat difficult. I believe the orange colour mask was acting as a
contrast filter and it meant that I had to use a very high contrast filer (I
think I ended up using a 4.5 or 5 filter) in order to get decent contrast.

Someone else mentioned normal Tmax having a magenta film base. If she was
using normal Tmax then that could also explain the olive cast because if I
remember my colour filtration correctly, a magenta filter (which is
essentially what you have in the film) results in cyan. Also add in that
there's no orange colour mask to adjust for and this could be the
explanation for the olive colour casts.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx