Re: [OM] Coming to America and Happy New Year

Subject: Re: [OM] Coming to America and Happy New Year
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 14:55:36 -0500
Chris,

I'd suggest keeping off the interstates, at least when the towns aren't
thick, so you can legally stop wherever and take a picture. That time of
year, you'll have plenty of sunshine with the long days, so even with 6
hours driving, you'll have 10 non-driving hours in the sun.

There are some lovely high passes thru the US Rockies (14,000+ feet) that
I've been thru. OTOH, if you go a little (relatively) further north, you
could go thru Canada and visit Banff and Jasper - but the prairies (Calgary
to Kenora) are boring.

You may want to checkout

http://www.adv-cycling.org/cgi-shl/webc.exe/advsales/st_main.html?catid=57
for beautiful low-traffic non-interstate routes even if you're not cycling.

The AAA (American Automobile Association) has lots of maps, tourbooks, and
camping guides for free if you join for ~U$ 40 (as well as free towing &
troubleshooting). Perhaps your father-in-law is a member? They'll also
prepare a complete booklet of your tour, concentrating on scenic routes if
you ask.

Bring your tripod! I'd suggest a per-call cellphone for emergencies.
Perhaps other Americans could tell what company has the best reach. Even
someone's obsolete, "non-planned" cellphone can call the local emergency
number (911) for free.

In TN, be sure to tour the Mammoth Caves. I presume the Grand Canyon and
Death Valley are on your itinerary.

Have fun, Tom

On Tuesday, January 01, 2002 at 9:29, Chris Linek <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "[OM] Coming to America and Happy Ne" saying:

> Hey fellow Zuiko-holic Guys and Gals
>
> The lovely American wife and I will be visiting the US of A from Mid June
> to Late July.
>
> I'll be bringing my Oly's (10 and 2sp) with me.  I'll be contributing to
> the local economy by buying all my film locally  :o)
>
> The tentative plan is to start in CA at father-in-law's place at Cobb, then
> we'll be driving through OR, WA, MT, SD, IA, WI, IL, OH, PA, NY, NH, MA,
> CT, NY again, PA, DC, VA, SC, GA, TN, AR, OK, Northern TX, NM, AZ and back
> to CA
>
> We've got 5 - 6 weeks to do it in.  Not nearly long enough, but it's all we
> got.
>
> I'm intending to bring back a BOX of photos (big box) :o)  BIG box.
>
> I guess I'll have to take notes along the way so I know what roll contains
> what images, from where.
>
> Do you fine folks have any suggestions on your favorite photogenic scenery,
> or places, things, etc?  Feel free to be as verbose as you like.
>
> Happy New Year Y'all from Oz, where it's 2002 already

-- Abacurial Information Management Consultants --
http://abacurial.com
Tom A. Trottier, President      +1 613 860-6633
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        N45.412 W75.714  ICQ:57647974
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the
unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable
man.    --George Bernard Shaw
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
Benjamin Franklin