[OM] OM-1n meter and ASA problems

Subject: [OM] OM-1n meter and ASA problems
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 01:57:00 +0100
My OM-1n has developed a strange behaviour.

- The meter activates on both "on" and "off" position. With lens on open (5.6~2.8) and in the shutter range 1s~1/60 it acts as if metering the light, but does not *react* to light. It rather sets itself to different fixed positions. In other words it doesn't matter whether I point straight into a light source or to a dark corner. - The strange thing is that it does this even with the battery taken out! So it must be some kind of mechanical fault. - With battery: in daylight, with lens stopped down and in higher shutterspeeds, it starts to react as normal to light changes. - It may have to do something with the aperature lever on the body. With lens off I can manually turn that and provoke the erratic meter behaviour.
- The ASA dial is possible to turn infinitely.
- It doesn't matter what lens I try, so the problem lies not there.

I can deal with this "bug" in daylight, but in lowlight situations it's hard to tell if the reading is accurate or if it's due to the meters "own life"
Could it be some magnetic or spring-problem? Aperature-lever? Time for a CLA?

I found this advice from John H in the archives:
------
Every OM-1 body will display this behaviour.  Remove battery, set ASA to
100, ss to B and lens to 1.8,  needle centers.
John

 > RK wrote:
 > >
 > > Hi Everybody,
 > > I just noticed that my OM1's meter needle in the viewfinder responds to
 > > changes in light both with and without batteries!
> > Is this a new way of saving on batteries or is my OM1 heading for that great
 > > camera store in the sky?
 > > RK
------
Well I tried that and sadly it didn't work. With the settings mentioned above the nedle is way up in the roof.

All this started two days ago, before that this beauty worked flawlessly. What to do?

Henrik Dahl