Re: [OM]Cold & Slow?

Subject: Re: [OM]Cold & Slow?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 00:41:33 +0000
At 22:05 1/1/02, Mark Dapoz wrote:

The OM-1's and OM-3's perform wonderfully in the cold.  -10C (that's about
10F right?) is nothing for these bodies.  I've used them for hours in -30C
to -35C temperatures and never had a problem.  I would suspect that either
the slow speed escapement wasn't cleaned as part of the CLA, or it was cleaned and either over lubed or lubed with something that doesn't work well in the cold.
                                        -mark

I would suspect a lubricant that starts to congeal in cold WX also. Had my OM-1n out in 10F (-10C) WX last night running 1/30th and slower speeds. No problem last night, nor was there any last winter in colder temperatures near 0F (-15C). These temps are all "still air" without the wind chill factor which must have driven it at least 10F to 15F colder.

An aside for Mark:
Where *were* you with temperatures that low, or are they with the wind chill? That sounds like the colder regions of Alaska or Canada, possibly Greenland, or somewhere on/near Tierra del Fuego (a misnomer if there ever was one). I've experienced them that low in Kansas, but it was rather unusual and only lasted a few days.

-- John
[who looked like Charlie Brown dressed for ice skating the last two nights.]