Re: [OM] Digital P&S vs. OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital P&S vs. OM
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 01:25:59 +0000
At 05:21 1/2/02, Albert wrote:
[snip]
I didn't say anything..  I couldn't think of anything witty to reply ..  So
I just sat there.  (Yes another problem with asian family structures...)

Albert

Good. Witty replies aren't necessary. Quietly hone your skills as a photographer and let your "works" speak for you. If they're "good" they will say more and speak louder than words ever can.

There's more to it than equipment technical capabilities; that's only half of it (or less). The other half (or more) is the artistic ability of the photographer. Both are required to make "good" photographs. I've made many, many "bad" photographs that were near perfection technically (focus and exposure) but artistically poor with bad composition, improper lighting angles, or timing that grossly missed the "decisive moment."

Not everyone will like everything you make. It's what you think about it that counts most. Having been "juried" I know there's zero logic behind subjective artistic judgement. The strongest photographers consistently receive good critiques most of the time from most of the jurors, but I have yet to see any that do it 100%.

-- John