[OM] Backdrops?

Subject: [OM] Backdrops?
From: voop@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 13:11:34 +0100 (CET)
Just a question for the portrait wizzards out there: what do you use as
backdrop for portraits? In the past, when doing portraits (and similar
things), I've been gifted by access to a pro studio, or I've been able to
do with "the nature". But since moving to France, studio-access is a
couple of hours away in an airplane, and nature...well...not pratical.

I've been wondering if the "way to go" is to invest in a couple of
"real" backdrops (and if so, which come reccomended?), or if there are
other methods (fabric etc.) that are as good. I've not given much thought
to this in the past since backdrops were just "there" - but advice before
investing would be good ;)

The target will be to have something usefull for two different kinds of
work: one for (mainly b/w) work on portraits in the classical sense. The
other will be for photographing bonsai's (another passion), both b/w and
color. For the bonsai's both black and white backdrops will be required, I
suppose.

Any reccomendations?

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)