Re: [OM] Digital P&S vs. OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital P&S vs. OM
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 14:49:34 +0100
On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 09:21:15PM -0800, Olympus wrote:
> Ok, it must be me.. I'm convinced..
>
> We are having a family lunch, a bunch of cousins.. my uncle pops out an
> overly glorified P&S digital.  he kept the shiny 3.2Megapixel sticker on the
> side of it.. I don't know what brand..
>
> I pulled out my OM1N... and he laughed!  (I should have beheaded him for
> that, should I?)  He laughed and said "Manual??"  Err.. yes I replied.  Of
> course.  The Sarcasm was as thick as Rosie's waistline..
>
> He said "Why?  The new digitals do everything yours does, and it's MUCH
> simplier.."  Err.. right..  He goes on, "I can print out an 8x10 right now
> on my printer, and you wouldn't notice it from yours blown up."  I find that
> hard to believe.  Also, his zoom lens will never beat my prime, the AF focus
> system will not beat my manual eyeball, and the quality of my 400 superia
> will be better than 3.2Mpixels..  Compared to my 50mm F/1.8.. I think the
> zoom said 25-90 on it... at f5.6 is where it begins.. So there i no
> comparison.
>
> I didn't say anything..  I couldn't think of anything witty to reply ..  So
> I just sat there.  (Yes another problem with asian family structures...)

Albert,

I think I can guess how you felt. I`m a technican, not a rhetoric...
Usually I don`t pop up with my gear(opinion), when I don`t feel someone
has honest intrest in it.

Don`t matter that much about  the words of your uncle. Is he really an
expert for photography?(1*) - Would he have recognized a OM-2 and have
said "Ah, electronic!".

 I´d say it`s not a asian family problem, it`s a problem very comon around the
world.
People are dazzled with shiny *NEW*-things (This is why companys finance T.V).

You can`t argue in such a situation. Imagine what amount of money he paid
for his new camera to impress the family. A fair discussion about advantes/
disadvantes of "ancient" cameras are just too dangerous for the apperance.
- And next year, his camera belongs to outdated stuff too! - But your OM
will be upated to the latest light sensor with every new film for a few $.

Don`t grief that much. I know sometimes it is not easy to be apart
the waves of fashion. "Meeting" people sharing the same view (in some areas)
helps a lot. - I like this list!

Enjoy your OM. I´ve just enjoyed 'achtung.com' again.
Frieder Faig

P.S: (1*)I don`t think so. His comment shows, that he is still
in the believe that it is the camera who makes a good picture
(-> advertisment).
Don`t care there are a lot of truths around. You`rs don`t need to
mach your uncle's. But his truth may not be that false from HIS
point of view.