Re: [OM] 24 (or 20) vs. 36

Subject: Re: [OM] 24 (or 20) vs. 36
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:53:06 -0800
First, to Scott, youy brain is ok, you're just too young. Of course, film
was once 20 and 36. Then, one company added 4 exposures, "at no extra cost"
and then everyone did. I tend to use either 12 or 24. The only place in town
where I can get the 12's keeps either Fuji or Agfa. The Agfa is now 12+3,
but Fuji has yet to follow suit. The extra three sort of spoils the effect.
I suppose that in time, competetive pressures will increase the 12 through
15, right up to 20!

This is the first I have heard about the lack of sharpness in a 36, but the
discussion about film flatness in 120 appears regularly on photo.net and
others. The theory is that film takes a "set" when rolled up, and won't
fully flaten out while being exposed. the MF discussion centers mainly
around Hasselblad, with the reverse curl wind in the backs. The argument
goes, when film is left in the back for a time, the first frame will have a
unsharp strip in it, that corresponds to the roller. I would suppose that
this would be a potential problem with a 36 roll in the last frames, wound
smaller and tighter.

Personally, I don't like to leave film in the camera for other, more mundane
reasons, so I will spend my time counting angels on pinheads.

Bill Pearce

There was also a discussion on this list a couple of years ago on the curl phenomenon in our Zuikos for film left in the camera. The proponents of doom said that there was a crimp put in the film at the opening to the canister.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California