Re: [OM] Kodachrome down-under (but not out)

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodachrome down-under (but not out)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 09:14:39 +1300
Hi Roger & Zuiks

What happened was I had a roll my son had bought me when in Germany on
student exchange (he studied German for 4 years) . It had processing
included + a mailer. I noticed when sending it off that the mailer did not work
for processing outside Germany, so I didn't use it.

The roll was sent to Melbourne in the land of OZ, via my local dealer who
apparently has to send it to Kodak, Auckland. The slides came back
mounted, which was nice, and the processing cost me nothing, which was
also nice.

This is the letter they wasted their time writing and attaching to my box of
slides.

"Dear Customer,

In reference to the Kodak Kodachrome slide film sent for processing, I would
like to advise you about this particular film.

Firtsly, (sic) the developing of this film is pre-paid for, however it is the
mounting that is not. These charges for mounting are past (sic) straight onto
the customer.

The film is *not*  (underlined lowercase) supplied through Kodak New
Zealand & I would be interested to find out where it was being purchased.

Kind Regards,   &&&&&&" End quote.

Presumably, if I gave them the name of a New Zealand retailer, they would
write them a letter on stiff cardboard and remove them from their Christmas
card mailing list <g>

Kodak New Zealand seem to be doing everything short of actually banning
Kodachrome 35mm from New Zealand shops (last time I asked, retailers had
to order a minimum of 300 rolls per order, and the wholesale price was set at
a level that required a retail price of about $NZ40 per roll. No retailer here
will
do that at that price, and most simply say that Kodachrome is no longer
available. Which on the face of it is true. And most potential customers will
not stump up with $40 per roll, with more costs to come later in processing,
in all probability.

In the complete absence of Kodak promotion for Kodachrome in NZ, and
their pricing and availability policy, it's not surprising that demand for the
film
is low.

I just can't understand the mentality of Kodak NZ. And it annoys me. So I
still get Kodachrome, but I'm not telling them where from. I can get
Kodachrome from several countries if I really try.

And, for about the 5th time in as many months I have tried to get on the
Kodachrome list (internet) and have no response from the co-ordinator.

Perhaps those Zuikoholics who are also on the Kodachrome list can tell me
if the latter list is still functioning?

Thank goodness for the internet and the opening up of global trading. But the
high-intensity scanners likely to zap airmail in the future is a bit of a
worry.
Quite likely I will stock up and put rolls in the freezer.

Brian

> Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 13:14:12 +0000
> From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Kodachrome down-under (but not out)
>
> Brian Swale wrote:
> >
> > Always get a thrill to open a box of sparkling new chromes, and see the
> > fresh colours and *sharp* images. <g> No snarky letter from Kodak
> > Auckland this time ... ... ...
> >
> > Brian
>
> It is always exciting, and more so when you've had to wait for them, I
> reckon!  But I'm intrigued - what did Kodak say last time?
>
> Roger

Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!