Re: [OM] Low light shooting

Subject: Re: [OM] Low light shooting
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 17:28:18 -0500
Cc: mr_shabby@xxxxxxxxxxx
As Tom mentioned, it should work.

The OM-2 is rated down to EV-5.5 (ASA100, ~60 sec @ f/1.2)
The OM-2n is rated down to EV-6.5 (ASA100, ~120 sec @ f/1.2)

Print film will be easier, as it has less reciprocity failure and color shifts. In any case, I usually do 4 shot sequence in Auto, increasing the exposure compensation each time by 2/3 stop (0, 2/3, 1-1/3, 2 stops). And if the +2 goes over 2 minutes, do another one with a cable release and Bulb. Also, Fuji and Kodak have color and exposure correcting factors for all of their films on their web sites.

The best way to learn?  Go out and burn some film.  Take good notes.

If you're using print film, you might want to shoot a flash picture of a standard subject just prior to the long exposures so that you get a "normal" negative that you can use for a comparison against the subject shots. Otherwise the printer will try to correct all the negatives and you won't easily know which was the best exposure.

And no, it's not a dumb question.

Skip