Re: [OM] Backdrops?

Subject: Re: [OM] Backdrops?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <voop@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 23:45:07 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Charles Loeven wrote:

<SNIP>

> The stuff I picked up at a fabric store was called velvet but it has less
> sheen than velvet or velour.
> It looks like it would be used for crafts instead of clothing.

Hmm...interresting.

> There is this stuff that puppeteers and magicians use for black art but it
> is expensive.

Does this fabric happen to have a name? I'd like to see if it would be
affordable, perhaps in sizes small (or large...) enough for background for
small trees (bonsais are, by very definition, rather small).

> You could also try spray painting some cardboard flat black.

Hmm..that's another good idea.

> The closer the light is too the background the more chance of reflection.
> Leave plenty of distance.

Yup.

>  Do Not Use Auto!!!

check ;) (almost) never use auto....

>  You need a flash meter.

check ;)

> For B+W you could use hot lights and an incident meter.
> Do you use filters to control the contrast of the leaves in B+W?

check ;)

> Pro backdrops are made of the least reflecting material possible.
> They are the best.

Hmm....probably incredigbly expensive. Anyone with a clue to the name of
such a fabric? I've asked around in the major foto-shops trying to
describe what I wanted, only to get blank stares back (which could be due
to my limited french-skills too... *grin* )

> Also if you are shooting color negs. the lab could screw it all up.
> Tell them what you are looking to do.

Well, I'd do b/w negatives and - if color - slides.

Thanks for your suggestiong, though...

--thomas