Re: [OM] GREEN B&W prints from T400CN WAS Which is sharper, autofocus

Subject: Re: [OM] GREEN B&W prints from T400CN WAS Which is sharper, autofocus ormanual focus?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 22:37:30 +0000
At 23:40 1/2/02, Andrew Fildes wrote:
Interesting - as I suspected. I shoot T400CN at 200ISO to improve contrast
and my auto prints are usually magenta. All of them, which suggests that
the operator is not compensating or getting a correct balance for the first
print. I believe that Kodak B&W Select behaves better in minilabs.
AndrewF

During one of my rants with Qualex (wholely owned by Kodak) about their lack of quality the conversation included some film printing issues. The Qualex rep admitted that B&W+400 is indeed different from T400CN. The biggest difference is the orange mask (looks heavier, more orange in it) that is supposed to make printing in mini-labs on color paper easier. Kodak's basic assumption is consumer film will get heaved into one-hour mini-labs and professional film may be proofed on color paper but will have finished prints done on true B/W paper. By comparison, Ilford's XP-2 Super has no mask.

I had the local Meijer one-hour lab use the chromogenic B/W paper to have some additional 4x6 B/W's made quickly and it worked well. No green, blue or purple cast; they were true B/W.

-- John