Re: [OM] Digital P&S vs. OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital P&S vs. OM
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 21:59:02 -0800
on 1/2/02 6:19 AM, Olympus at olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The part that got to me was I said, "Manual Focus allows me to focus
> sharply, and bring into focus what I want focused.."  and he said "I can do
> that on my digital camera too!  It has a manual focus mode.."  Errr...  I
> mean as if AF discussions aren't bad, he thinks his button pressing focusing
> is the same quality as cranking on a good prime??
> NO WAY IN HELL... his palm sized zoom lens of F5.6/8 28-105mm zoom lens with
> "button manual focusing" will be the same as my OM.  Cold day in hell...
>
> He said he will bust it out on a printer and "show me" how his images are
> the "exact quality" as mine, if not better.
>
> Errr...  no need to start and arguement with him, people like that, don't
> want to know, I mean he's got the brochure for his digital camera, and it
> says "as sharp as a professional film camera" and if it's printed, it must
> be true right??
>
> Albert

Albert -- load up some Kodachrome 64 (or other suitable slide film) focus
carefully, expose well (use the meter) and then crank up the slide projector
when the pictures come back. Project about 6 feet across on a good white
screen. Ask him to show his digi-pics in comparable format.

Digitals are good for pictures, and they are handy for instant gratification
viewing, but they still don't quite have it like well-executed film. Maybe
someday, maybe sooner than we think, but not yet...
--

Jim Brokaw