Re: [OM] Digital P&S vs. OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital P&S vs. OM
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 22:06:23 -0800
on 1/2/02 6:30 AM, William Clark at wclark@xxxxxxx wrote:

> My wife and I wanted a digital camera for "fun" use.  However we wanted some
> "SLR" features.  What did we get?  The Olympus 2100uz.  Over the holidays I
> tested its 4x6 and 5x7 resolution against a friend's (rich friend!!!) N*kon
> D1x.  Guess what, no visible difference between them!!! (even with a 10x
> loupe).  8x10 is another story.  The 2100uz is probably the best digital
> camera for consumers out there.  Why?  The zoom.  We found the 3X and 4X
> zooms on most cameras really made them feel like "toys" (no offence intended
> to anyone).  A 10X image stabilized zoom is awesome.
>
> I am not sure if digital cameras will take over in the near-to-medium future
> though.  Over Christmas, we saw many of our friends and relatives.  For the
> important family shots, all we done with film cameras (OM1n for me!!!!).  At
> least with our family and friends and their acquaintances, film still wins
> out.  While this may be anecdotal, I suspect it was them same for most
> people over the holidays.
>
> Anyone "behave" this way?
>
> -Bill

I visited my parents for Christmas, in Sun City West, AZ. They recently got
a digi-cam (HP200C, a 1.1 megapixel cast-off from my sister). She was done
with it, its obsolete, almost two years old! We went around with some of
their friends looking at the Christmas lights, and I took about 50 pictures
(hand holding, just to see how they would come out). All auto-exposure, but
I turned the flash off to force longer exposures.

When we returned from out little tour I downloaded the CF card(1) and set up
a quick slide show on my Dad's PC. Everyone thought it was really a great
thing... of course the resolution wasn't much looking on the monitor. The
immediacy of the images was cool though.

Once I pointed out to my Mom how the pictures are essentially free until
printed, she allowed as to how she might take more pictures (she has had two
Christmas's on the same roll of film before...)
--

Jim Brokaw

(1) Side note -- downloading from the camera using the supplied serial cable
took ~45 seconds per image. A USB CF/SmartMedia reader for ~$35 resulted in
a download time of ~5 seconds per image. IMO, the camera is just about
unusable without the CF reader.

JB