Re: [OM]Cold & Slow?

Subject: Re: [OM]Cold & Slow?
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:59:46 +0100
Regarding Cold and Slow, I was out skiing the other day (very unusual in
Denmark!), with a temperature of about -10C, and my OM-4Ti began to be
slower and slower. The battery test showed/sounded OK. Back in the warm
later I changed to fresh batteries, and it was normal again. The next day I
used an OM-1n, without any problems. Has anyone else had problems with an
OM-4 getting slower, but at the same time passing the battery check?

Roger Key

John Lind wrote:

I would suspect a lubricant that starts to congeal in cold WX also.  Had my
OM-1n out in 10F (-10C) WX last night running 1/30th and slower speeds.  No
problem last night, nor was there any last winter in colder temperatures
near 0F (-15C).  These temps are all "still air" without the wind chill
factor which must have driven it at least 10F to 15F colder.

An aside for Mark:
Where *were* you with temperatures that low, or are they with the wind
chill?  That sounds like the colder regions of Alaska or Canada, possibly
Greenland, or somewhere on/near Tierra del Fuego (a misnomer if there ever
was one).  I've experienced them that low in Kansas, but it was rather
unusual and only lasted a few days.

-- John
[who looked like Charlie Brown dressed for ice skating the last two
nights.]