Re: [OM] In search of 90mm F2 Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] In search of 90mm F2 Macro
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:20:31 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 frank.van@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I understand Gary's point, but I disagree when he states that it is
> better to ignore the BIN's when assessing the market value of sold
> 90mm lenses.
>
> 'Buy it Now' sales inhibit 'normal' auctions because people are
> willing to pay the (higher) BIN price. Therefore it seems reasonable
> to count them in when calculating eBay prices.
> After all they reflect the prices people are willing to pay just as
> much as 'normally' ended auctions.

I can see Gary's reasoning for ignoring the BIN prices.  Not all BIN's
have a higher price than the average selling price.  Those BIN's are not
representative of what a buyer would be willing to pay.   Deciding which
BIN prices are ignored and which are included would add a subjective
factor to the numbers.  I too would also like to see the BIN prices, but
not as part of the overall averages, but rather as a separete table.

> I also disagree with Gary when he says that 'after 9/11' sales should
> be ignored. The market is indeed slightly less stable, but it is still
> reflecting what people are prepared to pay. Perhaps people involved -
> aren't we all ? - are a bit destabilized as well ;-)

I agree, I don't see why 9/11 should have any influence on the statistics.
However, I do think that by now Gary needs a break from collecting the
statistics. 9/11 would be a perfect point for doing that.
                                        -mark