Re: [OM] photo critique wanted....

Subject: Re: [OM] photo critique wanted....
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 13:12:59 +0000
At 09:26 1/3/02, Moose wrote:

Short of $$$ for a shift lens and time to set up the tripod and adjust the lens shift - and happening to have all that stuff as you cruise down the street, the solution is still:

A solution is to keep the camera level and crop out the distracting street level stuff later. Works for all WAs, of course.

Moose

Absolutely (with a tradeoff of image resolution from cropping) and it's a method I've used.

I often carry the 35/2.8 shift in urban settings and will take the tripod along if possible. When the tripod is impractical, I've also used it hand held. It's a royal PITA with manual stop-down, and risks poor alignment of frame and shift with perspective lines, but it can be done with the 35/2.8 shift (much more difficult with a 24/3.5 shift). If the shift lens was left behind, the fallback is the WA/crop method (using the 24/2 if it's on hand).

Using a shift lens has been interesting, and not without problems in addition to leveling it and working the manual stop-down . "Vertical" monuments and structures are not always vertical, and buildings are not always on level ground, although they may appear so visually! Without a reference line or plane, as much as a couple of degrees cannot be detected. They can be in the viewfinder and more so later in a large photograph with an image edge creating a reference line. The smaller ones about 10-30 feet tall are the usual suspects (found an 80 foot obelisk that's slightly off vertical). Using a shift lens to photograph rectilinear objects not true vertical or horizontal can be difficult. Similar to wallpapering a wall that's not reasonably square to the walls, ceiling and floor.

Last, but not least, there is no "right" or "wrong" for architectural photographs (there are some strong *opinions*). The "vision" for the image is the photographer's prerogative. Also why I dwelled on cause->effect and what appears more natural versus making an artistic judgement.

-- John