RE: [OM] First roll of Kodachrome came back... magnificent :-)

Subject: RE: [OM] First roll of Kodachrome came back... magnificent :-)
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 18:01:09 -0700
> Now you know why some of us have all but abandoned color negative!

 I'm curious -- if you do develop mostly slides, how do you look at the
pictures and/or show them to others? Is it a matter of using one of those
little viewers every time, having slide shows, or something else?  I shot a
roll of slides, and sure, the images were lovely, but then I realised what a
pain it would be to ever demonstrate this to people..

 After all, image quality aside, the obvious advantage of negative film is
that you get a stack of 36/24/whatever pictures at the end that you can put
into albums/frames/give to people, and that's all you need; nothing extra
needed to make them 'work'.

 (oh, another thing I was wondering about -- slides have nicer colours,etc
than negative film when they're slides -- does this still hold when getting
prints made from them? Obviously I'll lose some of the nice luminescent
quality that comes from a back-lit image, but if I somehow managed to take
identical shots, onto negative and slide films (of the same ISO rating, for
the sake of argument) and printed them both onto equal quality paper, would
the slide shot look better? I know there's lots of variables, but is the
general idea here roughly right, or do the advantages get neutralised as
soon as the image goes onto paper?)

 thanks,

 -- dan