RE: [OM] 100/2.8 vs 100/2 vs 135/2.8

Subject: RE: [OM] 100/2.8 vs 100/2 vs 135/2.8
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu \(Lama\)" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 22:06:43 -0500
Ah, a fun topic.  I have the 135 f/3.5 and the 100mm f/2.8 and love making
hand-held, available-light shots of musicians and listeners using window
light on fast film.  Last summer I shot 8 rolls during a marathon music
festival in a church.  I metered with the OM-2 and transfered the settings
to use on my (meterless, meaning dead meter) OM-1 (pre MD, pre "n").
Naturally, I found the 100 more useful when I was closer, as with people I
knew well, and the 135 for candids from a distance of people I didn't know
well.

For a short while, I had one camera hanging on a short neck strap with the
100 and the other camera hanging from a longer strap w/ the 135.  Neither
one of these lenses is expensive, (especially if you have friends on the Oly
List!)  I have found that both are sharp enough for me to use wide open, and
I wouldn't say that about my old (ex) Tamron 85 - 210 f/4.5 (or so) circa
1973.

The 100mm f/2.8 is the sharpest lens I've ever used.  I'm just giving my
experience, not bragging.
(In addition to the others already mentioned, my experience is limited to
these Zuikos: 50 /f3.5 macro, the 28 /3.5, the 28 /f2, and 200 /f4.  Oh, and
a Tokina 400 /5.6 SD.)

In short, I'm saying that, at a close working distance, let's say a
*conversational* distance, the 100mm range is perfect.  I can't afford the
(sharper) 90 macro but the 100 f/2.8 is sweet and sharp.  Yeah, it's pretty
darn close to the 135 but having flexiblity in this portrait range
complements the stuff I love to shoot.  I don't lust after a circular
fisheye but I like having affordable flexibility when it complements what I
love to do.

Still looking to buy a 2-4 screen,
Lama in Northern Kentucky