Re: [OM] Archival photos especially family history

Subject: Re: [OM] Archival photos especially family history
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 22:19:11 +1300
Hi Gregg,

> Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 21:25:15 -0500
> From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Archival photos especially family history
>
> Who was taking pictures of 140 year old relatives in shoe boxes?  Do you
> really have a clear idea of how they lived? :-)
>
> Gregg

When you find, as I did, that you're the only person left ( in an extended
family of ?200, 140 years later) with a photo of these people outside a cob
cottage with a grass-thatched roof, and a close-up of some of them; and you
look at their lined faces, and then the stories come out and you piece them
all together; like how my grandmother was orphaned at age 4 with the other
4 of her siblings; the contents of an inherited shoe-box take on a new
importance as one links their life with ones own, decades down the line.
(With a grin to show that despite my words I'm not being too serious).  A
whole lot of stories and other evidence can be linked together stronger with a
photo or two to help.

Those old photos illustrate a lot more than a casual glance would indicate.

Their survival intact for 140 years is an important help to me to gain contact
with my roots.

That is why I think that the durability of photographic records is important.
It
has been very important to me, and I think already to my kids. We still
maintain contact with a family in the UK who are descended from people who
gave comfort to my orphaned grandmother. Despite all those years, blood is
still stronger than water, and a couple of identifiable old prints make a big
difference.

As somebody else has said a few times  - - just my $0.02 worth.

Brian

Zuikoholics, enablers, one and all.
Feeding fantasies, emptying pockets!