RE: [OM] Re: Digital v real photography - slightly OT and long

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Digital v real photography - slightly OT and long
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 15:01:28 -0800 (PST)
A funny thing happened on the way to the digital show...

I looked at some color prints done on a Canon CLC-500 color
laser printer/copier over 10 years ago.  Granted, the toner
technology is pretty ancient stuff today and they were printed
on plain jane paper, but they are as good as they probably were
hot out of the machine.  Some have been exposed to several years
of high light levels--even direct sunlight.  Paper is the
limiting factor here.

Now, I also look at a couple of color prints (archival quality)
that in the same conditions have faded quite a bit.

Then I look at some OOOLLLLDDD B&W prints that my dad and I did
over 25 years ago and they haven't noticably changed at all.
They weren't even toned.

I'm not overly concerned about print longevity.  Placed in a
decent quality photo album digital prints should last as
long--if not longer than our regular photo color prints.

Print away on your Epsons/HPs/Canons/etc with quality inks and
papers and don't worry about it.

AG-Schnozz